1001 Grove Avenue
Richmond, Virginia 23284
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: (804) 828-1347
Fax: (804) 828-7201
Equity and Access Services leads, coordinates and supports civil rights compliance for Virginia Commonwealth University.
We fulfill our mission by:
- Investigating internal and external complaints of discrimination
- Serving as the Title IX office for VCU
- Developing and monitoring the university’s affirmative action plan and employment practices
- Promoting an accessible learning and working environment
- Providing consultation for workplace accommodations
- Developing and monitoring policies and procedures related to equal opportunity
- Providing education and training
We’re committed to fostering a safe environment and ensuring equal access to education and related services to everyone affiliated with the VCU community, including visitors and job applicants, through the following areas:
In conjunction with other responsible VCU administrative offices, the Title IX Coordinator:
- Communicates with all members of the VCU community regarding Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act
- Reviews applicable VCU policies to ensure institutional compliance with Title IX, VAWA and the Clery Act
- Monitors VCU’s implementation of the Sexual Misconduct/Violence and Sex/Gender Discrimination Policy and related policies
- Implements campus training
- Responds to any complaints or reports regarding prohibited conduct
Students, employees and third parties can file complaints regarding harassment or discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin (including ethnicity), age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parenting status, marital status, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information (including family medical history), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.
Complaints are handled by Equity and Access Services’ civil rights investigators. Investigation and resolution procedures vary depending upon the applicable policy.
Our employment equity team ensures compliance with the Affirmation of VCU’s Equal Opportunity - Interim Policy by:
- Creating and monitoring affirmative action plans
- Training faculty and staff on applicable laws and best practices for hiring processes
- Providing consultation and guidance on equal opportunity and affirmative action best practices
Our Americans with Disabilities Act coordinator ensures compliance with the ADA and the Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodation for Individuals with Disabilities Policy, with a focus on workplace accommodations and accessibility. Student requests are handled by Student Accessibility and Educational Opportunity and the Division for Academic Success.